Wednesday, July 15, 2009

brief interlude


I believe that there is beauty and truth in words. I spent most of my childhood buried in them. I would breathe them like air. Words carefully preserved between colorful bindings covered in plastic, pressed between the careworn pages given momentary life by the passing of fingers, hungry eyes. Living words glowing on screens. "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away", "I'm glad you are here with me Sam, here at the end of all things". They'd lead to places I wished to be, immersed and safe, images staying with me far longer than anything else I can remember.

Sometimes I would like to imagine that people walking around in auras of words. They would float around our bodies like clouds of dotted lace. And when we needed to say things that we couldn't, they would wake up and swarm around us, spreading out like huge black billboard wings. A quick "Thanks" and smile to a kid at the cash register, and a nod in return would be translated to

"YOU CAN NEVER KNOW THE IMMEASURABLE GRATITUDE THAT THIS GIFT OF GUM HAS INSPIRED WITHIN THE DEPTHS OF MY HEART. MY BREATH WILL NO LONGER STINK OF SOUR MILK AND DISEASE. I WILL BE MINTY FRESH ALWAYS, AND YOU HAVE MADE THIS POSSIBLE. YOU ARE WONDERFUL. A GOD OF CASHIERS, A PARAGON OF BAGGERS, A PRODIGY OF CHANGE GIVERS."

To the jerk who is driving 50mph in the fast lane, the italian lady with the long clawlike nails who snatches the last jacket in your size from the rack, the kid whose large head is completely blocking your view.

"YOU SHALL KNOW MY RAGE AND UTTER DISDAIN. I CURSE YOU, YOUR ANCESTORS, AND ALL THE SPAWN THAT WILL COME FROM YOUR LOINS. I HOPE THE GROUND WITHERS BENEATH YOUR FEET, AND MAGGOTS FEAST ON YOUR FLESH AND DEVOUR YOUR BONES"

and in reply

"I SECRETLY DELIGHT IN YOUR MISFORTUNE"

As you are getting in the car, or walking out the door, after a quick hug and a bye.

"I LOVE YOU AND WILL MISS YOU. GOODBYE GOODBYE. IF I DO NOT RETURN, I WANT YOU TO KNOW MY LOVE IS ALL ENDURING AND WILL FOLLOW YOU WHEREVER YOU GO. LET THIS BE HOW YOU REMEMBER ME."

I think this would make life much more entertaining.

1 comment:

Lilieli said...

Hahahahaha! Extremally entertaining!

Post a Comment

c'mon hit me again