Thursday, April 22, 2010

Grim

So here's the "sublime" painting I need to finish before finals.  I translated sublime to epic, beautiful, and terrifying. I'm reinventing psycopomps, this one is supposed to be the Grim Reaper. I wanted to continue my reign of terrifying, beautiful, and fashionable mythical ladies, ala Valkyrie and Medusa, so here is Grim. Oil on the back of the door to my closet (Couldn't afford a canvas this time round, hopefully the wood grain texture will give some amazing effects)




Original concept sketches. Clothes based off of the Anne Demeulemeester Spring 2010 show. I have a love hate relationship for painting "assignments". On one hand, well crafted ones give you a definite sense of direction and motivation, (Sadly, during the school year I don't have too much time to pursue my own projects unless they are assigned) but in this case, it was kind of stifling : /

























I'm not terribly thrilled with the result, the darkness seems way too forced, and the scythe is overbearing. However I loved painting the fabric of the skirt. It was so much fun, and I think that part at least came out beautifully

No comments:

Post a Comment

c'mon hit me again